Thursday, February 3, 2011

Forever Young

First, dig out your Last Waltz album and set the needle in the groove for "Forever Young". . . if you don't know what I'm talking about, find it and listen.  
Great concert.  Great band.  Great album. Great song.  
(here it is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqQzE2-E9M)
(Okay, this fractal is trippy.  keep looking at the center)

I went for a walk today.  Yay!
In the cold wintry air
Jack Frost nipping at my nose
Streets and sidewalks covered with smooth, slick ice
All the better for sliding . . .

So, I slid and slid.
I made a game of spying people's newspapers still outside
And (risking life and limb on slippery steps and sidewalks) placing them on their doorsteps

It came to mind that some might find it odd; 
A 52 year old woman scooting around on the ice
Just for fun (52 sounds so old, but it's not!)

I intend to stay forever young
My family tends to do this
We sing silly songs at the drop of a hat
Make silly faces at the drop of anything
We rhyme and pun 
We joke with total strangers . . .

No matter how old I grow
This will be me
If I'm able, I'll be scooting on ice when I'm 90
Or at least making funny faces

Thank you that I got to walk today
Thank you that there was ice to slide on 
(none of that in Tucson)
Thank you that I didn't think twice 
About playing on the ice
(nor thrice)

I'm amazed often 
By how nimble I am
Internally
One moment I'm in the pit of despair
The next, I'm slipping and sliding across the ice like a little girl

Remember
Little things can make all the difference
A small silly action can change your day
Or someone else's
Do something fun today
Something silly or strange
Make someone laugh
(or wonder if you're crazy)
Or share something sweet and simple
Cherish your precious self
Be young in some way, today.




Forever Young 
by Bob Dylan

May God bless and keep you always 
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others 
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars 
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young 
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous 
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth 
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous 
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young 
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy 
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation 
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful 
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young 
May you stay forever young. 


Footnote:  I mentioned it on my Facebook page, but it's interesting to know that Bob's singing style was directly the result of Huntington's Disease, as he imitated Woody Guthrie, who had HD.


Trailer for the movie:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKlkR0B5aw
fractal from http://www.enchgallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment